Sunday, August 15, 2010

I Cut My Sim Myself

I'm blogging now on my bed, from my new iPad 3G! And its awesomeeeeeee!!!! Here's a big THANK YOU to B!

The clever folks at Apple have decided that the regular SIM card was taking too much space within the iPad. So they decided to reduce its size by about 25%. Yep, just that tiny bit. I guess space really is at a premium now.

That tiny little tray requires a Micro SIM which i did not have, so i cut my spare SIM card to fit the Micro SIM tray, and voilĂ ! I can enable 3G on my iPad and iPhone at the same time, without the need to subscribe to 2 different plans. My current iPhone data plan includes 12GB of data which is more than enough for me. Why pay for an additional data plan when both your devices can share one?

If you didn't already know, it is possible to get an additional SIM card with the same phone number, same post-paid plan, from your service provider. They also provide Multi-SIM service which comes with a Micro SIM, but the monthly subscription fee is slightly more expensive. Usually, there is a one-time setup cost, and a monthly subscription fee. All 3 major service providers in Singapore offer Multi-SIM service. Hop over to their websites to find out more, because calling their hotline is usually a pain in the ass.

Starhub MultiSIM
Singtel Multi-SIM
M1 Multi-SIM

Micro SIM has inspired many new ideas because it is so annoying to have to get a new SIM card just so you can use your shiny new devices. Imagine the long queues and all the time spent waiting! Some innovators out there were quick to react, and introduced a new product, called Cut My Sim. The usage of this product, as the simple but effective name implies, cuts your normal SIM into MicroSIM. Yes, its innovative but it also costs $25. I really wouldn't recommend buying it unless you need to cut 20 SIM cards because its too easy to do it yourself.

If you prefer to cut your SIM the DIY way, read on! Presenting my so-called tutorial to cutting your first Micro SIM.


















Well, if this isn't clear enough for you, there are wayyyy better tutorials on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment